The Evergreen Cemetery of Bristol was founded and incorporated in 1888. Its use as a burial site goes back more than a century earlier, with many of Bristol's pioneer families buried in the original graveyard, which is also the final resting place of several revolutionary War veterans. Over time, the hilltop area has been expanded southward, overlooking Bristol's hills and valley in a quiet and peaceful rural setting. People of many different religious faiths and traditions, and of no particular belief, have chosen Evergreen Cemetery for burial.
THE NEWTON LEGACY
Since 1927, Evergreen Cemetery has been blessed with financial support from a trust fund established by members of the Newton family, Bristol natives who moved to Cleveland, were successful in business, and honored their Bristol roots by sharing their good fortune with this legacy. The raised section in the center of Evergreen Cemetery, often referred to as "The Mound," provides burial sites for members of the Newton and Kent families.
While Evergreen Cemetery is immediately adjacent to the United Church of Bristol, it is separately governed by a board of 10 trustees elected to three-year terms at the annual meetings of the corporation. The Board then appoints officers and forms committees to carry out the work of maintaining this community landmark and resource. We follow guidelines and regulations of the New York State Division of Cemeteries. Several of those currently serving as trustees are carrying on a family tradition of community service which dates back some generations.
Evergreen Cemetery is open to the public from dawn until dusk and welcomes visitors who conduct themselves appropriately in offering the respect due a burial ground and honoring our neighbors' expectations of peace and quiet. The new gazebo, overlooking Bristol Valley, offers seating for quiet meditation, reflection, and prayer.